Read alouds are a wonderful way to infuse language into our math programs. There are many great picture books that engage students creativity and curiosity in the math classroom. I often use my math read alouds to introduce or reinforce a concept. Making the connection between our language instruction and our math instruction helps students to see how math is all around us, many of the books I have chosen illustrate real life scenarios so that students can connect to what they already know.
- Miss Lina’s Ballerina’s → Multiplication Arrays https://www.amazon.ca/Miss-Linas-Ballerinas-Grace-Maccarone/dp/031238243X/ref=sr_1_1?crid=23JU9FX8SDC00&dchild=1&keywords=miss+lina%27s+ballerina&qid=1622512870&sprefix=miss+lina%27s%2Caps%2C271&sr=8-1
- The Door Bell Rang → Divison as fair shares https://www.amazon.ca/Doorbell-Rang-Pat-Hutchins/dp/0688092349
- Bean Thirteen → Division with remainders https://www.amazon.ca/Bean-Thirteen-Matthew-McElligott/dp/0399245359/ref=pd_lpo_14_img_2/140-5634492-9531559?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=0399245359&pd_rd_r=dfe91110-fd58-49bd-be69-8f1806a394e5&pd_rd_w=GQFko&pd_rd_wg=XekbO&pf_rd_p=55ea5ed7-d8ce-4183-b0cf-37e635680f3e&pf_rd_r=NA228AZJV4TEWS0HJWTW&psc=1&refRID=NA228AZJV4TEWS0HJWTW
- Anno’s Mysterious Multiplying Jar → Factorial Multiplication ( great rich task for kids to solve) https://www.amazon.ca/Annos-Mysterious-Multiplying-Mitsumasa-Anno/dp/0698117530/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2N48NQQDDNEQM&dchild=1&keywords=anno%27s+mysterious+multiplying+jar&qid=1622513268&sprefix=anno%27s+%2Cstripbooks%2C213&sr=8-1
- Sir Cumference series → various math concepts at a variety of levels.
- Fraction Faire → Fractions https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/1570917728/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
- All The Kings Tens → Place value https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/1570917280/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
- Spaghetti and Meatballs for All → area and perimeter https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/0545044456/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
- The great divide → division by 2 https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/0763615927/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
- The Greedy Triangle → polygons https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/0545042208/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
- If The World Were a Village → fractions, percents, ratios, decimals https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/1554535956/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
- This Plus That → Addition and some SEL connections https://www.amazon.ca/This-Plus-That-Little-Equations/dp/0061726559/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=this+plus+that&qid=1622515204&s=books&sr=1-1